- Discovering Democracy workshop delivered by Murray
Campbell at the December SOSE Day.
- Entries in the February and April newsletters.
- The State Conference June 19-20, 1999 Working
Together: current planning features a workshop being
offered by a teacher from ACGS entitled "Teaching
Ancient History to Year 10: Discovering Democracy".
Workshops with Discovering Democracy/ civics and citizenship
- Workshops by Gabrielle England and others
- National History Challenge Seminar March 99
- SOSE Conference July 99
- Annual Conference November 99
Throughout nine issues of the HTAV Bulletin, which is
circulated to over 1300 schools in Victoria, the following
information was disseminated in 1998/9:
Information on the DD Programme and the contents of the kits.
Information as to where extra kits where available for purchase.
Explanations on the theme of the National History Challenge in
Phone Queries and on-line help:
Many queries answered by phone/ e-mail/ or web site as to
where the kit could be ordered. A number of schools had not
received the accompanying CD ROM.
DD In-Service in Canberra x 2 staff members from HTAV.
DD related meetings:
Dr John Andrews Dr John Andrews Dept of Education
Ms Gabrielle England
Mr Mike Rowland
- Annual Seminar Day for TEE Teachers March 6th
1999 Focussed on the Oral History Investigation,
which is an essential requirement of our course. However
a workhsop on resources was also run and mention was made
of the DD materials and the PD programme in WA.
- Bulletin No. 3 (June) in WA will remind teachers of the
materials and indicate those units (or parts of units)
that fit into the history course work.
- The National Conference in Perth. Day 2 (Thurs)
focus is on the concept of democracy with constitutional
lawyer Jim Thomsons examining democracy in
Australia and Frank Palmos (journalist during "the
year of living dangerously") looking at democracy in
Indonesia and the role of Megwati. A panel will also
revisit Mabo from our last Perth Conference.
Later that day there are workshops on how to implement
the DD programme and using the DD materials.
- The AFSSSE summary went to schools with Bulletin No. 2
- Case studies being prepared, one primary and one for Year
Discovering Democracy and/or related issues were discussed at
the following events:
- State Conference December 1998
- Workshop on Civics and Citizenship (Appendix 5)
Professional journals have also been used to advertise the
Guide to using the DD Materials.